Our Cadetship Program supports the education and provides work experience to 2nd and 3rd year Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students who are undertaking their first undergraduate degree.
The Program is designed to develop specialist skills and provides cadets with
- 12 weeks of paid work experience each year
- Access to mentors, Senior Aboriginal VPS employees and the Aboriginal Graduate Network
- The option of direct entry to the interview stage of the VPS GRADS after successful completion of their cadetship and degree
- An employer commitment to ongoing employment after the cadetship.
Financial support may also be available to cadets via the Commonwealth Government’s Abstudy or Indigenous Cadetship Scheme.
During the Program, cadets will undertake practical work experience and be supported by a range of VPS staff. It also provides a valuable opportunity to establish an understanding of the VPS before taking up a specific role in a department or agency.
To be eligible to apply for an Aboriginal cadetship, applicants must
- be of Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent
- identify as an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander and be accepted as such in the community in which he/she lives, or has lived
- be enrolled for full-time study occurring on campus at a university located in Australia
- be enrolled for his or her first undergraduate degree course.
Cadets are also required to maintain satisfactory progress towards the successful completion of their degree whilst in the Program. Full details are available in the attached PDF guides.
The Program runs for 12 months, from Semester One, with work placements generally taking place between November and February.
More information can be found in these guide documents
Applications are currently open and will close on 30 June 2017.
For all enquiries, please contact Joe Murfet, Senior Adviser at the VPSC’s Aboriginal Employment Unit on (03) 9651 0837 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.