Focus on Recruitment
The Barring Djinang internship program is designed to provide Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander university students with paid work experience in the public sector.
What the program is
This program is for public sector organisations who want to attract and develop an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander university student.
- build the intern’s peer networks
- connects interns with public sector organisations
- helps organisations foster an inclusive environment
- supports students to build their knowledge and skills
This program is an initiative of Barring Djinang: our 5-year Aboriginal employment strategy for the Victorian public sector.
Who can apply
You can apply to take on an intern, if you work for a Victorian public sector organisation.
- Connect Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander students with a career in the Victorian public sector.
- Support students to gain professional experience and networks.
- Prepare students for successful careers in the Victorian public sector.
How the program works
We run this program with CareerTrackers and you to make sure each intern is well-matched with an organisation and supported throughout the program.
Students will usually return to intern with you until their university degree is completed.
What CareerTrackers do
- provide each intern with a Student Advisor as a contact
- promote internship opportunities to Aboriginal and/orTorres Strait Islander students
- provide work readiness training to students, pre-internship
- help interns create a learning development contract and set goals
- deliver professional development training and workshops to students for the semesters following the internship
- host interns at the 3-day Leadership Development Institute conference
What we do
The Commission will:
- be the central point of contact for you throughout the program
- help you find an intern based on your needs and their interests and studies
- host a virtual welcome event attended by interns and managers
Support you during the program with:
- a manager briefing session
- cultural awareness training
- regular check-ins
Support the intern’s development through:
- weekly virtual networking
- professional development workshops
- regular check-ins
- host an end of program event for interns and managers
What you do as an internship sponsor
- review student CVs and conduct an interview with your candidate
- onboard your intern
- allocate a buddy to provide support
- provide your intern with clear expectations and set workplace goals
- engage your intern in meaningful work
- set up regular check-ins and provide regular feedback
- complete a performance evaluation at the end of the internship
- be available to your intern when they need you
- give your intern time to attend any program events or professional development workshops
Program costs include the intern salary and the annual program fee, per intern.
Intern salary costs
Interns are employed at VPS Grads 2.1.1 or equivalent
- a 12-week summer internship placement
- $12,114 plus overheads (effective 1 July 2019)
- an optional 4-week winter internship placement
- $4,038 plus overheads (Effective 1 July2019)
Annual program fee
The annual program fee per intern is $8,750 (inc GST).
- cultural awareness training for the intern’s manager
- welcome event
- weekly one-hour virtual networking and professional development events for interns
- Leadership Development Institute attendance for interns
- Program Day event attendance including professional development and training
- end of program celebratory event attended by interns and intern managers
The summer program runs for 12 weeks between November 2020 and February 2021 .
22 September 2020
Expressions of interest close.
By 23 October 2020
You’ll interview the potential intern.
By 20 November 2020
You’ll onboard your intern, including sending them an employment contract.
23 November 2020 to 12 February 2021
Proposed internship period.
Fill out the Barring Djinang Internship expression of interest form before 5pm Tuesday 22 September 2020.
Last updated: 24/08/2020
Expressions of interest close at 5pm Tuesday 22 September 2020