This document is part of the Public entity executive human resources tools resource.
For each position in stages 1 to 3, a supervisor interview at stage 2 can cover multiple reports.
Stages 4 to 5 are once only for the whole organisation.
Stage 1: gather corporate documents
Half a day
Understand the position’s roles within the organisation.
- annual report
- committee memberships
- position description
- strategic plan
Stage 2: conduct interview
1 to 1.5 hours
Validate information from stage 1 and probe as required:
- previous position holder
- validation interview with supervisor as necessary
Stage 3: score the position
Half a day
- make a classification recommendation of where the position sites in the 3-band Public Entity Senior Executive Service (PESES) structure
- assess the 8 competency and accountability criteria using the scoring template
- validate against applicable work streams
Stage 4: produce findings report
About 6 hours for 3 to 8 positions
- produce a findings report for the entity head
- moderation of all assessment outcomes to produce a high-level overview and make recommendations
Stage 5: implementation decision
Alignment of outcomes
- decides how and when to align outcomes
- consider next steps including time of any classification amendments and potential impact on remuneration and executive structure