This document is part of the Flexible work policy and resources resource.
When an employee has a legal right to request flexible work, you must comply with the law.
These documents tell you when employees may have a legal right to request flexible work:
- section 65 in the Fair Work Act 2009
- Victorian Equal Opportunity Act 2010
- clause 8 of the Victorian Public Service Enterprise Agreement
- Senior Executive Service Employment Contract and Handbook
This includes when an employee:
- is a parent, or has responsibility for the care of a child who is of school age or younger
- is a carer
- has a disability or long-term health condition
- is 55 or older
- is experiencing violence from a member of the employee’s family
- needs to give care or support their immediate family
- needs to give care or support a member of their household
- needs to give care or support someone who is experiencing violence from the member’s family