A trusted public sector that delivers exceptional outcomes for the Victorian community.
Our purpose is set out in Section 38 of the Public Administration Act. It is described as two objectives, each with supporting functions.
Strengthen the efficiency, effectiveness and capability of the public sector to meet existing and emerging needs and deliver high-quality services.
We do this by:
- assessing, advising and supporting on issues relevant to public sector administration, governance, service delivery and workforce management and development
- researching and disseminating best practice in relation to public sector administration, governance, service delivery and workforce management and development
- collecting and reporting on whole of government data
- conducting inquiries as directed by the Premier.
Maintain and advocate for public sector professionalism and integrity.
We do this by:
- advocating for an apolitical and professional public sector
- issuing and applying codes of conduct and standards
- monitoring and reporting to public sector body Heads on compliance with the public sector values, codes of conduct, and public sector employment principles and standards
- reviewing employment-related actions and making recommendations following those reviews
- maintaining a register of lobbyists and a register of instruments.
As a Commission, we share one identity, built on our role and attributes. It guides the way we work.
|Role||The way we work|
Think long term
Be stable amidst change
Amplify good practice
Show integrity and professionalism
Provide useful and practical advice
Share what works
Consider wider context
Research and disseminate
Model and influence
|Attributes||The way we work|
Aspire to excellence
Maintain high standards
Strive to improve
Deliver at pace
Apply leading practice
Modernise and update
Develop reliable expertise
Communicate deep knowledge
As a Commission, we live the public sector values set out in the Public Administration Act 2004:
We provide frank, impartial and timely advice to the government. We provide high-quality services to the Victorian community, identifying and promoting best practice.
We are honest, open and transparent in our dealings. We use powers responsibly, report improper conduct, and avoid real or apparent conflicts of interest. We strive to earn and sustain public trust of a high level.
We make decisions and provide advice on merit without bias, caprice, favouritism or self-interest. We act fairly by objectively considering all relevant facts and applying fair criteria. We implement government policies and programs equitably.
We work to clear objectives in a transparent manner, accepting responsibility for our decisions and actions. We seek to achieve best use of resources and submit ourselves to appropriate scrutiny.
We treat others fairly and objectively, ensuring freedom from discrimination, harassment and bullying. We use the community’s views to improve outcomes on an ongoing basis.
We actively implement, promote and support these values.
We make decisions and provide advice consistent with the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities. We actively implement, promote and support human rights.