We redesigned our marketing and user experience to be more inclusive.
Compared to last year:
- Applications from people with disability were 4 times higher
- Applications from people who identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander were 7 times higher
This didn’t happen by accident but came from us removing barriers to participation in the graduate program.
What we did
We used human-centred design and did research with real people.
We tested our ideas with university students who:
- shared they had disability
- identified as LGBTIQ
- used English as an alternate language
We made sure we had a range of people with disability in our testing.
This included people with:
- acquired brain injury
- mental illness
- mobility and dexterity
- neurodiversity and autism spectrum
- visual impairment
These people made us rethink our assumptions and listen to their lived experiences. We changed our marketing and website based on what they said.
What we learnt
We overestimated how much people knew about our graduate program. So we made it clearer what the program is about.
We weren’t direct enough with our inclusion message. So we made it clearer how we will support applicants with disability to apply and take part.
Walk the talk
We had to show we mean it when we say we put user needs first. So we improved our form design, imagery and user experience.
Make diversity visible
Applicants wanted to see people like them succeeding in their careers. So we created imagery and videos of diverse graduates already in the program.
Rethink your user interface
Our apply now buttons were too small and too close together for people with limited dexterity. So we moved and resized them.
We now understand our audience better and have a more inclusive user experience. We have an applicant pool that more closely reflects the Victorian community.
We have two new streams: Data and analytics and Project delivery.