The Victorian Public Sector Commissioner, Paul Grimes, has today issued a circular detailing a pre-employment screening policy for VPS executives.
Key points are
- VPSC, with the agreement of the Victorian Secretaries Board, issues the VPS Executive Pre-employment Screening Policy (the Policy) and associated guidance material.
- The Policy addresses integrity risks associated with inadequate pre-employment screening of people seeking executive employment in the Victorian Public Service, and sets a minimum standard of pre-employment screening for VPS executives.
- The Policy requires that a Statutory Declaration and Consent Form (the Form) be completed by candidates prior to a formal offer of employment being finalised for all VPS executive positions in public service bodies.
- Candidates with a misconduct history are not necessarily precluded from employment. However, the Policy ensures that employers can access the information required in order for them to determine a preferred candidate’s suitability for a position based on a further understanding of their past employment history.
The Policy applies to all executive level recruitment by public service bodies. A public service body is
- a Department
- an Administration Office established under section 11 of the Public Administration Act 2014
- the Victorian Public Sector Commission