Applications are now closed
Applications closed Friday 16 September 2022
Who can apply
The program is open to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islanders employees in:
- the Victorian public sector
- Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisations
- Traditional Owner groups.
We’re looking for people:
- with a strong commitment to their own personal and professional development
- in senior non-executive roles
- who have experience with high levels of responsibility
- who are ready to take the next step into a formal leadership role.
Support from your manager
This program is based on coaching, more than just curriculum. There’s an emphasis on applying what you’re learning about yourself as a leader in your workplace and/or community.
The program runs during work hours so you’ll need approval from your manager to participate. Their support for your progress will help you get the most from the program.
When you apply, you’ll be asked to upload a signed statement from your manager explaining what they think you’ll get out of the program and why you’d be perfect for it.
It must also include the text below:
As [applicant’s name]’s manager, I:
- understand how the program works, the elements, costs and timelines
- support their development in the program
- approve their attendance during work hours for the welcome event, 8 to 10 hours of coaching and the 3-day leadership residential
- will contact the Victorian Public Sector Commission if I have any questions about the program.
The program uses a coaching approach, including 1:1 and group sessions, to enable you to identify and address your specific learning and development needs.
The program is made up of 3 elements:
- a 1-on-1 session with your coach
- 4 group sessions
- another 1-on-1 at the end of the program to consolidate your program learnings and plan for your future.
Tailored leadership development plan
You and your coach will make a leadership development plan tailored to your leadership aspirations for your role and career.
We use a coaching approach, including 1:1 and group sessions, to enable you to identify and address your specific learning and development needs in service of your aspirations from this experience.
You’ll engage in work-based practices and projects you choose that are directly related to your leadership growth and organisational challenges.
We will provide resources to support your learning as requested.
In March 2023, you’ll attend a 3-day leadership residential that includes:
- learning and development
- cultural activities.
You’ll have the opportunity to connect and share your experiences in a group context and learn from high-profile Aboriginal leaders and your peers in a culturally safe environment.
We normally book the residential in a location an hour outside of Melbourne. More details will be provided to participants.
We plan to run the 2022/23 program events in person. However, this is subject to change pending your COVID-19 workplace directives at the time of the program events. We will let you know as soon as we can if we need to run any sessions remotely.
- Applications opened
- Applications closed Friday 16 September 2022
- Program spots awarded by Friday 30 September 2022
- Attend a welcome event
- Begin your first individual coaching session
- Begin group coaching session
- Group check-in and break for the holiday period
- Continue group coaching session
- Attend 3-day residential event
- Final individual coaching session
- Program graduation and individual debriefs
We’ll cover the cost of:
- the program
- travel, accommodation and meals for the 3-day leadership residential (not including incidental expenses such as in-room snacks).
If there are other costs associated with participating in the program that your organisation is unable to cover, please get in touch with us to discuss your situation.
We will run the program with 20 participants.
We ran the program with 30 participants.
We ran the program with 20 places available.
We ran the program with 19 participants.
We ran a pilot program with 9 participants.