Our objectives are set out in the Public Administration Act 2004.
They are to:
- strengthen the efficiency, effectiveness and capability of the public sector to meet existing and emerging needs and deliver high quality services
- maintain and advocate for public sector professionalism and integrity.
Functions and powers
Our functions are:
- assessing, advising and supporting on issues relevant to public sector administration, governance, service delivery and workforce management and development
- researching and disseminating best practice in relation to public sector administration, governance, service delivery and workforce management and development
- collecting and reporting on whole of government data
- conducting inquiries as directed by the Premier
- advocating for an apolitical and professional public sector
- issuing and applying codes of conduct and standards
- monitoring and reporting to public sector body Heads on compliance with the public sector values, codes of conduct, and public sector employment principles and standards
- reviewing employment related actions and making recommendations following those reviews
- maintaining a register of lobbyists and a register of instruments.
The powers of the Commission are listed in section 41 of the Public Administration Act 2004. To perform its functions, the Commission can:
- do all things necessary or convenient
- require a public sector body to provide any document or information in a specific form
- require personal information about an employee of a public sector body.
Vision and strategy
Our 2022-23 work program was delivered under the 2020-23 strategy, in line with the vision we set three years ago – a trusted public sector that delivers exceptional outcomes for the Victorian community.
We focused on 4 outcomes:
- An integrated and future-focused public sector
- An inclusive, high-performing and engaged workforce
- Empowering and engaged leaders
- Victorians trust the public sector.
Key highlights are grouped under 4 strategic priorities:
- Promoting workforce reform
- Supporting a positive employee experience
- Developing outstanding leadership and stewardship
- Promoting public trust.