Holding space is a way to support a team member who is struggling with an issue or feeling distressed.
Holding space is great for someone who isn’t ready for first-person support.
How to hold space
- Be present and aware of the person
- Use active listening skills
- Be engaged with what the person is saying or doing
- Be open-minded and non-judgemental
- Don’t offer opinions or advice
- Give them the time and space they need
Holding space during an activity
Holding space is not just about talking.
You can offer to do an activity with your team member.
- Go for an in person walk or have a phone meeting where you’re both walking
- Get a coffee or have a virtual coffee catch up
- Sit quietly in a room together