Aboriginal identity of overall public sector workforce vs Victorian population
The estimated percentage of employees who identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander:
- 0.8% of the overall public sector workforce
- 1.0% of the Victorian population.
- overall public sector workforce: Workforce data collection 2022 and People matter survey 2022
- Victorian population: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census 2021.
Aboriginal identity of employees by industry group
In 2017, the Victorian public sector launched the 5 year Aboriginal Employment Strategy, Barring Djinang.
The strategy supported a target of 2% representation of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander employees by June 2022.
Since June 2017, the number of Victorian Public Service employees who identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander:
- rose from 478 to 688
- only rose from 1.1% to 1.2% due to an increase in the number of employees overall.