At June 2022, there were:
- 1,916 executives in the Victorian Public Service
- 1,138 executives in Victorian public entities
- 3,054 executives in the overall public sector workforce.
Executives make up:
- 3.4% of Victorian Public Service employees
- 0.4% of public entity employees
- 0.9% of the overall public sector workforce.
Role of executives
Executives are the senior leaders of the public sector workforce. They work in a complex and changing environment to deliver on the Government’s priorities.
Collectively, executives manage billions of dollars of assets, huge budgets and large workforces. They oversee the delivery of critical policies and services and manage considerable risk.
What an executive is
A Victorian Public Service executive is employed under Part 3 of the Public Administration Act 2004.
A public entity executive is either:
- a Chief Executive Officer of a public entity
- an employee whose remuneration is equal to or greater than the base of the Victorian public sector executive remuneration range and whose primary role is to lead and give direction to other employees.
At June 2022, the base remuneration for executives in the Victorian public sector was $199,014.
Number of executives
From 2021 to 2022, the number of Victorian Public Service executives rose to meet demands for leadership in social policy areas and to help manage the impacts of COVID-19.
In 2022, many COVID-19 programs and initiatives came to an end and the growth in executive numbers started to decline.
Executive movements, July 2021 to June 2022
Victorian Public Service:
- 621 executives started
- 421 executives left.
- 332 executives started
- 247 executives left.
Machinery of Government impacts, July 2019 to June 2020
Executive growth in 2018 to 2019 includes the transfer of 90 executives:
- from VicRoads and Public Transport Victoria
- to Major Transport Infrastructure Authority and Department of Transport.
This data set covers June 2018 to June 2022.
We source this data from our annual workforce and executive data collections that cover over 1,800 Victorian public sector employers.
This file has the following executive profile measures for the Victorian public sector:
- executive headcount by industry, gender, age group and classification band
- executive median remuneration and headcount for each remuneration cohort, by industry group, gender and classification band.
It also has:
- total number of executives for each departmental portfolio group by gender
- total number of Victorian Public Service executives for each Victorian Public Service organisation by gender.