Facts, figures and visuals on public sector employee work locations
How to read this page
Unless stated otherwise, this workforce data shows you numbers as at June 2020.
For most visuals, we give you a break down in 3 ways:
- Victorian Public Service (VPS): the 8 departments and 43 authorities and offices defined to be public service employers under the Public Administration Act 2004
- Public entities: all other public sector bodies outside the VPS that have a public function
- Overall public sector workforce: public entities and VPS combined
I want to find out about:
- Key facts
- Number of employees by industry as a %, regional Victoria
- Number of employees by industry as a %, Greater Melbourne Metro area
Get the data set on:
- 70% of the public sector workforce works in the Greater Melbourne Metro area
- 30% of the public sector workforce works in Regional Victoria
As at June 2020, if COVID-19 directions hadn’t required employees to work at home:
- 14.9% or 48,149 of all public sector employees would have had their normal work location in Melbourne’s CBD
Percentage of the total Victorian labour market
At June 2020, the public sector comprised:
- 8% of Greater Metropolitan Melbourne’s labour force
- 13% of Regional Victoria’s labour force
Regional Victoria work location
Greater Melbourne Metro area
Percentage of industry group’s employees located in each region
This data set covers June 2015 to June 2020.
We source this data from our annual workforce and executive data collections that cover over 1800 Victorian public sector employers.
This file has the proportion of public sector employees working in each specified Victorian region by industry.