The Victorian Government refugee and asylum seeker internship program provides university students who are refugees or asylum seekers with work experience and the opportunity to build their network.
About the program
This initiative connects the Victorian public service with refugees and asylum seekers looking for paid work experience.
The summer program runs for 12 weeks between November 2021 and February 2022.
The Victorian Public Sector Commission runs the program with CareerSeekers to match interns to suitable openings.
Victorian Public Service organisations looking to recruit refugee and asylum seeker interns can register for the program.
Registrations close 5pm 13 August 2021.
How the program works
- promote internship opportunities to prospective interns
- match you with potential interns
- provide work readiness training to interns pre-internship
- help interns create a professional development plan and set goals
- host regular manager and intern check-ins
- host interns at events for program launch and end of internship
- provide a manager briefing session before your intern starts
- review CVs and conduct an interview with your candidate
- onboard your intern
- allocate a buddy to provide support
- set clear expectations and work goals
- engage your intern in meaningful work
- set up regular check-ins and provide regular feedback
- complete a performance evaluation at the end of the internship
- be available to your intern when they need you
- support your intern during the learning and develop program
- attend program events or professional development workshops as required
- run weekly virtual networking events
- run professional development workshops
- check-in with you and your intern regularly
- host welcome and end of program events for interns and managers
Program costs include the:
- intern’s salary
- program fee
Intern salary costs
Interns are employed at VPS Grade 2.1.1 or equivalent for a 12-week internship placement.
- $12,635 plus overheads, effective 1 September 2021
- an optional 4-week winter internship placement at an additional $4,264 plus overheads, effective 1 June 2022
CareerSeekers program fee per intern is $6,500, plus GST.
The learning and development fee
The learning and development fee per intern is $500, plus GST.
This fee covers:
- welcome event
- weekly virtual networking catchups
- professional learning and development events and workshops
- end of program event
The summer program runs for 12 weeks, from November 2021 to February 2022.
- expressions of interest close: 5pm 13 August 2021
- shortlist and interviews close: 30 September 2021
- formal offers sent: 29 October 2021
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out more about our program partner at CareerSeekers