Good self-knowledge provides the basis for effective self-development, selection of appropriate management styles, strengthening resilience, strategic thinking and communication. In other words, it provides the foundation for success in a management role.
Any development a manager undertakes in this area should, at minimum, cover the following topics.
- The importance of understanding and developing yourself, especially in the context of the changing and complex environment in which the Victorian public sector operates.
- Understanding the role and responsibilities of the Victorian public sector manager, including the role of a manager to facilitate connections up and across an organisation, model appropriate behaviours and be proactive.
- Understanding self: personality, strengths, limitations, aspirations, needs, anxieties and preferred ways of working.
- Undertaking effective self-development and continuous growth in a systematic and targeted way.
- Undertaking effective transitions
from one role, organisation, situation or environment to another while maintaining strong and consistent performance.
- Seeking assistance to understand and develop yourself: knowing when to seek assistance and who to seek it from.
For further information, see Development Guide 1.