The aim of this module is to:
- analyse the gap between where your business area is now and where you want to get to
- develop kata boards to plan how you’ll implement and monitor your workforce changes.
By the end of this module, you’ll have:
- a list of milestones
- a list of agreed actions for the next 12 months to get you from where you are now to where you need to be in the future.
Activity in this module
Kata is a term derived from the Japanese language to mean ‘way of doing’.
In this module, you’ll use a kata board to help work out action plans for each of your workforce elements.
How to do this activity
To do this activity, you’ll need:
Create a kata board for each workforce element: skill, source, shape, size and site. You’ll have a total of 4 boards.
Answer these questions for each kata board:
- where are you now?
- where do you want to be in 12 months?
- where do you want to be in 6 weeks?
- what do your first steps need to be?
- what will happen if you don’t act?
Use the kata boards to keep track of your strategic workforce plan implementation. Do this by moving the bar across the top of the board to show when you’ve made progress.
Review and update your kata boards every 6 weeks.
How to run this module as a workshop
To run this module as a workshop, use:
Workshop tips for this module
If you run this as a workshop:
- identify a working group or a person in your business area to keep the kata boards up to date and to schedule the ongoing 6-week review and updates
- assign who is responsible for each action that needs to take place.
It’s the responsibility of the business area to keep these up to date, not the People and Culture team.
Review any outputs from modules completed in the design phase: 10 minutes
Prepare workshop: 30 minutes
Run workshop: 2 hours
Total: 2 hours and 30 minutes