All roles have some level of mandatory screening. The level of additional screening needed depends on the organisational context and role being filled.
All Victorian public sector organisations should already have risk-management processes in place. These processes can be applied to pre-employment screening.
It’s important to consider the risks associated with each role and then decide what screening is required to manage them.
To help illustrate how this can be done, we’ve taken a summary of the roles and functions that could be considered low, medium or high-risk from the Strengthening Employment Screening Practices in the NSW Public Sector (2018) report.
Screening requirements based on role-based risk assessment
We’ve put together a simple example of how public organisations can use risk categories to help them decide what pre-employment screening checks are required.
You can use this in combination with our list of pre-employment screening types.
In this example, a community-based organisation is trying to decide what screening checks will be needed for a manager-level role.
Example role description
We’re looking for a junior manager to work in a client-facing role. The successful candidate will have a moderate level of financial delegation, some decision-making power and access to sensitive information about people who use our services.
Apply risk levels to the risk categories that apply. The role is considered high-risk if it has at least one high-risk element.
Assign a risk level to the risk categories that apply:
- decision-making authority – medium
- contact with vulnerable clients – high
- finance delegation – medium
- system access – high
- access to significant assets – medium
- job requirements – medium
Pre-employment screening required
- pre-employment misconduct screening
- identity checks
- reference checks to confirm resume details and integrity
- police check
Additional risk-based screening
- directorship search of the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) database and a bankruptcy check
- conflict of interest and personal association delegation
- working with children check
- other applicable qualification checks from an accredited institution